Curried Coconut Shrimp With Wheat Berries
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes (Total Time: 1 Hour 35 Minutes)
- Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup Wheat Berries, Soaked 8 To 10 Hours, Drained
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Red Pepper
- 1 pound Large Shrimp, Peeled, Deveined
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 can (13.5 ounce) Lite Coconut Milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut, Toasted
PLACE wheat berries in medium saucepan. Add 1-1/2 qt. (6 cups) cold water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour or until berries are tender. Drain; cover to keep warm.
MIX sugar, curry powder, salt and ground red pepper in large resealable plastic bag. Add shrimp; seal bag. Shake bag gently to completely coat shrimp with the seasoning mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.
HEAT 1 Tbsp. of the oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add wheat berries; mix lightly. Spoon onto serving platter; cover to keep warm. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in skillet. Add shrimp; cook 2 or 3 minutes or just until shrimp begin to curl and turn pink. Add coconut milk and lime juice; stir. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon over wheat berry mixture; sprinkle with coconut.
KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
How To Pre-Soak Wheat Berries
Rinse wheat berries and place in medium bowl. Add enough water to cover by a few inches. Let stand at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours. Drain, then use as directed in recipe.
Round Out The Meal
Serve this flavorful main dish with a fruit salad for a balanced meal.
RECIPE COURTESY OF KRAFT FOODS