Veal Roast With Apricot-thyme Chutney
- Prep Time: 2-1/4 hours
- Serving Size: 10
- 1 Veal Rib Roast, Cap Removed (4 To 5 Pounds)
- 1 tablespoon Minced Fresh Sage Or 1 Teaspoon Rubbed Sage
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- Apricot-Thyme Chutney-
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Medium Onion, Sliced
- 1 pkg (6 oz) Dried Apricots, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Combine sage, garlic and pepper; press onto veal roast. Place roast, rib ends down, in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of veal, not touching bone or resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven, 25 to 27 minutes per pound for medium doneness.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until hot. Add onions; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining chutney ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until apricots are soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 155°F for medium doneness. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise to 160°F for medium.) Carve roast between bones. Serve with chutney.