Osso Buco With Risotto Alla Milanese
- Prep Time: 2-3/4 hours
- Serving Size: 6
- 6 Veal Shank Cross Cuts, Cut 2 Inches Thick (3 To 3.5 Pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 can Whole Tomatoes, Undrained
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Dried Basil And Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper And Ground Red Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot, Finely Chopped
- 1 Rib Celery, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- Risotto Alla Milanese (recipe Follows)
- 1/4 cup Minced Fresh Parsley,
- 1 teaspoon Grated Lemon Peel And
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot; brown veal cross cuts in batches. Remove; sprinkle with salt. Pour off drippings.
2. Add wine; cook and stir until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, rosemary, black pepper and red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
3. Melt butter in stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and 2 cloves garlic; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add veal and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours or until veal is fork- tender. Combine gremolata ingredients; sprinkle over veal and tomato sauce. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes. Serve with risotto.