Classic Potatoes Au Gratin
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes (1 Hour 40 Minutes)
- Serving Size: 8
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Butter Or Margarine
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 2-1/2 cups Milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Onion
- 6 cups Thinly Sliced Peeled Potatoes (about 6 To 8 Medium)
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Blend in flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
ADD 1-1/2 cups of the cheese and the onion; cook until cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Layer potatoes and cheese sauce alternately in 2-quart casserole dish, ending with a layer of the cheese sauce.
BAKE 1 hour 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
Size It Up
Enjoy a serving of this classic side dish as part of a special-occasion meal.
Prepare as directed, using KRAFT Shredded Swiss Cheese.
RECIPE COURTESY OF KRAFT FOODS